GENERAL
project description
list of features
group management
group members and tasks
project schedule
architecture
screenshots
final documentation
- word format

STATUS
physics
input
integration
art
graphics
networking
audio
interface

message board
links
dmf in the news

networking

New Status Report Entry Name

E-Mail

Report

Sunny Chow Monday, May 07, 2001 at 13:09:09 (PDT)

Goals for this week:
"weapons, rotation"
Accomplishements:
As John pointed out, player rotation has been done with the axes. However, since our world is still in a preliminary state, weapons are still not implemented yet. Because of this, I decided to go ahead and begin the texturization and animation of the monkey model. So far the monkey is capable of running, climbing, and strafing (though the latter two are much less polished than the first) Will continue with this until all the animations for the monkey is complete.

John Rapp Wednesday, May 02, 2001 at 01:35:45 (PDT)

I got it so that multiple players can connect to the server and see each other as a set of axes (actually made using the Camera's draw function). This changes a lot of source, but I tried not to touch anything with graphics. The only difference was adding some lines to do the rendering. It uses a map to store a list of player information based on dpnid, but that's just a placeholder for whatever you guys want to do.
Take a look at it, all the files are in my directory (cs190eav) on sdcc7. You should have access to the file dmf-5-2.zip. It changes a lot of the files, so we should probably get together to merge our source trees.

John

04/29/01- Sunny. Monday, April 30, 2001 at 00:37:40 (PDT)

Goals for this week.
"Integration with physics (transfer data from physics model from one player to another) "
Accomplishments.
Since we still don't have our physics engine integrated with our world I wasn't able to integrate the physics with networks as we hoped. Instead, I integrated my networks with input to demonstate that the network is capable of sending user input to the server. After that was shown to work, me and kuowen tweaked the message structure such that we reduced all the keyboard inputs the player can use to integrate with the world into 8 bits. Mouse coordinates will be sent using two integers.
On the server side, I updated the servers cameras with the mouse inputs. I also created a new message structure for the server to communicate to the client about new player camera positions.
However the network code is still a little messy (hence inefficient) and will need a little cleaning up..

04/21/01 Sunday, April 22, 2001 at 19:30:32 (PDT)

Goals for this week:
To complete Lobby.
Actual Accomplishments:
As a group, we decided to take out the Lobby, (Quake III and Unreal didn't have it so why should we). Instead I concentrated on primarily modularizing the module the best I could.
I took the modified SimpleClient and SimpleServer code from last week and changed it so that it abstracted the details of networking to the point where client has only 3 functions to be called which are StartClient, EndClient, and SendMessage while the server only has 2: StartServer and EndServer. I also added a new msg so that the clients are able to send text message to each other instead of just waving.. With that knowledge I can go ahead and implement any messages the physics or input might have for me. Eagerly waiting to integrate now (in other words eagerly waiting for the labs to be opened).

04/21/01 Sunday, April 22, 2001 at 19:28:15 (PDT)

Goals for this week:

I took the modified SimpleClient and SimpleServer code from last week and changed it so that it abstracted the details of networking to the point where client has only 3 functions to be called which are StartClient, EndClient, and SendMessage while the server only has 2: StartServer and EndServer. I also added a new msg so that the clients are able to send text message to each other instead of just waving.. With that knowledge I can go ahead and implement any messages the physics or input might have for me. Eagerly waiting to integrate now.

Yoway Buorn Friday, April 20, 2001 at 16:07:47 (PDT)

I want to work on networking too, Sunny.

04/15/01, Sunny Chow

I succeeded in replacing the dialogue/windows interface SimpleClient and
SimpleServer used in order to get input from the user. Instead I coded
the two programs to accept commands from the console. This will ease the
transition of adding more kinds of messages that SimpleClient can send and
the modularization of the two programs. The connect wizard was kept as it
was, and as a result, the programs are still able to communicate with each
other through simple messages. Will attempt to expand SimpleClient so
that it can send a text message to other SimpleClients now.